Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reflections on Being Thankful

One year ago today, I was frantically cleaning my house getting ready to have my entire family over for Thanksgiving.  I had been planning this day for weeks, everything down to the centerpieces and strategically placed scented candles to the exact way the table needed to be set.  You see, it was on Thanksgiving last year that me and Gavin announced that we were having a baby.  I was so excited about sharing this secret I could hardly stand it.  This was the perfect time and place, and I couldn't be more ... well.... thankful.  The moment was perfect.  The reactions from my family were even better.  It was one of the happiest memories in my life, and now this holiday has a whole new meaning in my life.


I know that it is sort of cheesy to blog about being thankful on Thanksgiving, but I feel like I would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least briefly touch on this topic.  I mean isn't that the greater purpose of this holiday to begin with.  I am thankful for everything I have in my life, I just want to take a minute to point out a couple of things that I am especially thankful for this year.


Barrett is my biggest reason to be thankful this year.  Everyone says children change your life, but there is no way to put into words a way to describe the feeling.  I have also realized that having a happy healthy baby, with no scary situations to get through is a true blessing, and something that I will forever be thankful for.  This baby has changed my whole view of the world, and has brought out sides of myself I didn't even know I had.  I look forward to every moment I get to spend with him, and I try to cherish every single moment.


I am also thankful for my mother.  She is living with me, Gavin, and Barrett for now.  I know the situation is not permanent, but I am grateful that I have this time with her, and I wish she could stay forever.  She is an amazing woman, and I still have so much to learn from her.  She not only takes care of my sweet baby during the day when I am at work, but she also helps my husband at his store.  I get to let Barrett sleep as much as he wants to in the morning, and don't have to rush to feed him, and  change him, and get him to daycare.  I also don't have to drive to a daycare on my way home.  I come home from work and I have her help as I race to get Barrett fed and bathed and ready for bed.  Having her here with me allows me to make the most of the moments that I do get with Barrett everyday.  She is also there to dispense any and all advice that I could ever need, and with Barrett being my first attempt at parenthood, I am constantly faced with new situations, and questions to go with them.  There is nothing better than having her here by my side as I take this new path in life, and for that I am truly thankful.


Also, I am thankful for my family (I am taking the liberty of extending the definition of this word to include the Bond family).  My husband ventured into the world of retail entrepreneurship at a time in my life where I don't have the ability to be involved as I would like to be.  I have been busy being pregnant, and then totally consumed with my sweet baby.  A wine store/ bar is not exactly an appropriate place for a baby, and certainly the time to enjoy drinking out with friends has been put on hold for the foreseeable future.  But as I am home taking care of the baby, my whole family has stepped up in my absence.  From the grand opening where my sister's husband and in laws were helping things go smoothly, to my father helping with the food for all the weekly wine tastings.  They have all been there for us with anything we need.  Rachel was working a full time job, and then still coming straight to the store on Friday evenings to help, and Natalie even catered the grand opening.  I am so thankful that they have been there for us, the help and support that they have provided has definitely help to make the store successful. 


Of course I am thankful for my friends, my husband, my house, my job, my pets, and all the other wonderful blessings that I have in my life too!  I am truly blessed with a wonderful life, and for that I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment