Saturday, July 10, 2010

Barrett has Arrived

Barrett's first picture
July 10, 2011


Barrett was born.  He arrived in our arms at 5:14am.  He was 8 pounds and 9 ounces and 21.5 inches tall. He came on the absolute worst day that he could have come.  I had been praying that he would come soon.  I was tired of being so big I could barely walk.  I was tired of people asking me if I was going to have twins, and I was just plain tired!  BUT I didn't mean for him to come on the 10th.  In my head any day BUT THAT DAY would have been perfect.  But I guess Barrett had different plans.


My husband, Gavin, had planned his store's big grand opening event for July 10th.  It was about 2 weeks before my due date which was slightly stress inducing, but definitely manageable.  It was early enough to be safe.  It should have been fine. I had a Dr.'s appointment on the morning Friday July 9th with my 15 year old sister Marissa as my help for the day.  I was getting an ultrasound to see exactly how big Barrett was.  The Dr. was worried about his size because my husband had been a big baby (11.5 lbs!!).  Well, it wasn't that the baby was so big, it was just there was a lot of room for him to move around.  Well, that mean I had to take a stress test.  So off I went to labor and delivery.  They hook me up to the monitors to see how Barrett is handling everything, and just in case he is nice and happy.... they are going to buzz my belly with a zapper and see how he reacts to it.  Next thing I know my back is starting to hurt.  I mention it to the nurse who says "OH.... you are having contractions!"  She must have seen the panicked look on my face, and then added "but don't worry, they are not labor inducing contractions"  Her advice to me was to go home, eat lunch and relax. So we left the hospital, ran a couple or errands, then finally made it back to my house around 4:00 in the afternoon.  My sisters Natalie and  Rachel, her husband JR, and Marissa were all at my house helping me get the house ready for Barrett.  No one would let me do anything so I was just laying on the couch.  For some reason resting was not helping my back ache.  Next thing I know it is around 9:00 and I stand up to go get something to drink, and the worst thing happens.... my water broke!


I call Gavin and my mom who are at the store, as my sisters are trying to help me get stuff together to get to the hospital.  Gavin gets home and sometime later I arrive at the hospital.  Now everything from this moment until Barrett was in my arms is a complete blur.  I remember PAIN, then the epidural, and then Barrett.  Then they moved me into the room I would be staying in, and everyone in my family left to go help my husband with the Grand opening.  No one in my family got sleep that night.  I felt bad for everyone that day, but I am so happy that they were all there.  My dad and brother left the beach at 11:00 at night and arrived just in time to join my sisters in the waiting room to await the news that Barrett had finally arrived.  Two of my sisters slept in the most uncomfortable chairs in the waiting room, while the other one was up all night getting the food ready for the grand opening, and  my mother and husband were in the room with me all night keeping me calm and happy.


Barrett was perfect, he was everything I had hoped and wished for.  The moment I had been waiting for for 9 months had arrived, and I was overjoyed.  I know that even though nothing went as planned that day, that I am so very blessed to have everything go as smooth as it did.  It was one of the happiest days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment